19 November 2012

The Tuxedo Dresser - A Black & White Makeover

I’m a little bit smitten with our latest dresser makeover – it’s classic yet a little funky, kind of black tie with a twist, which I totally love :)


We bought this dresser off Craigslist in the summer – I liked the shape and all the pretty little details in the woodwork, although the hubs thought the bottom looked like a giant mustache.


Despite seeing past the technicolour finish, it took me awhile to get started. The honey and I both wanted to use up some leftover paint from previous projects, but I kind of felt like doing something new. Frankly, the thought of using the same old paint left me feeling pretty uninspired...But I rolled with it...Eventually I settled on staining the top dark and painting the body white – I've been loving that country-esque look lately. But after a LOT of prep and several tries the stain just wouldn't take evenly.

So on to plan B, a different two-tone look that's a little less country, a little more chic.


Black and White Tuxedo Dresser

I'm SO crazy about black and white - the colours are so classic but together they look so bold. 



Love how the new paint job highlights the details. Although in black it does look a little more mustachey..


The new knobs are my favourite part. I had bought the same ones with a white center last year on clearance at Homesense, and while working on this dresser I realized they'd be perfect, but I only had 3. I was disappointed I couldn't use them, but then totally lucked out finding these!


I was surprised at how much I ended up liking this piece - despite using the same old paint. All it needed was a little re-imagining.

Black and White Tuxedo Dresser

In terms of the how-to, I prepped the piece by lightly sanding a few rough spots and gave the whole thing a thorough cleaning. I filled the holes from the old pulls with wood filler and sanded smooth. Then I taped off the sides of the drawers and got to work: 1 coat of Zinsser primer, 2-3 coats of paint, and 3 coats of satin Varathane sealer. 


I added a little paint conditioner to help with brush/roller marks, but I've learned it's really about your technique. Thin coats are better than thick, and the hardest part is trying not to work the paint too much by going over it a million times. Especially with the Varathane, use VERY thin coats and work quickly, or you’ll end up with tons of marks (the can says not to use a roller but I did so anyway), not to mention BUBBLES! I ended up adding a little conditioner to the Varathane too - probably not recommended but I found it helped. In the end I achieved an even surface that's also silky smooth to the touch :) Last but not least I measured out the placement for the knobs and drilled new holes. 


For now this pretty little tuxedo dresser is fancying up my dining room, waiting to get sold!


22 comments:

  1. I love this, so simple but so stunning!
    MacGIRLver

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your dresser makeover, i would love to feature it, if that would be ok with you please let me know,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you put varathane sealer over paint? I have always considered paint sealed and done. Why seal it? Thanks. Lovely dresser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denette, I don't have too much experience with different types of paints but I think it really depend on what you're using. I find the Varathane (like other polyurethane products or even waxes) helps to protect the finish and make it more durable - meaning it holds up better to bumps and scratches, as well as spills. However I think some paints are designed to be more durable in themselves (like alkyds and enamels) and what sheen you pick probably makes a difference too (flat vs semi-gloss etc). Oil based paints in general are more durable too, but they're no longer sold in Canada. Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I really love the colors...very classic yet modern at the same time!! You amaze me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Dehdee! I'm so glad you like it :)

      Delete
  5. You did a great job. The dresser looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Munaiba Chachi! That means so much to me :)

      Delete
  6. Your not the only one smitten Samaa, me too! I love the knobs most of all. Great job as alway dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mentioned you on my blog today
    http://libler.blogspot.ca/2012/11/all-dressed-up-with-no-place-to-go.html
    come check out what I did. Hope you like it.

    Faye (MacGIRLver)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love the black and white together. You have inspired me, Samaa!!! Happy one year of blogging : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dresser is sharp! So well suited in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - it looks just beautiful, a real statement piece. I love the knobs you've used, they really finish it wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's so handsome! i feel like i should go put on my fanciest gown!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I love that it's still simple and classic but with a fun twist since it's black and white. I also love your painting tips. I recently tackled my first furniture project and was frustrated with the streaks - will have to try your tips the next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jackie! I really appreciate it :) Congrats on your first project! I'm hopping over to your blog now to see if I can find it :) I know how you feel though, I get so frustrated when I feel like I'm being so careful and still getting a patchy finish. I haven't been able to get it right every time but it has gotten better with practice!

      Delete
  13. Salaam Samaa

    I love this makeover, it looks completely different.

    Hope you are well.
    Saher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Saher! I'm so glad you liked it :) and that you came by!

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh!! I LOVE every project you've done. Seriously, if you taught classes on how to do this, I'd be first in line to sign up. I am a total bargain hunter and would to learn how to do these types of makeovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty you are so sweet! Thank you so much, that means SO much to me :) Believe me you can totally do it too! It just takes patience and a bit of practice. So glad you came by!

      Delete